Thursday, April 5, 2012

Brooke's Final Blog

 I've never been one for activism. I've always been the "eh..someone else will do it for me" type when it comes to these things. Even at the beginning of this project I felt this way. I didn't get why I had to do something tedious like post in a silly little blog that no one outside the class would read. Over time I grew on the topic, even more so when I learned how it could seriously affect me, my relatives, and my friends. I grew disgusted with the lack of respect women were receiving from the media and the government. The debate on birth control and religion infuriated me. What happened to the separation of church and state?!


Like I said in my previous blog, I learned so much over the course of this project. At the beginning, I only knew that there were people out there who disagreed with Planned Parenthood's ideas and methods, but after this project I realized that it went so much deeper! I had no idea how much good Planned Parenthood actually does for women, and men! I've learned just how much the government is interfering in women's health and how little women actually get to say about it in the debates.

Even still, I felt uncomfortable actually going out and spreading the word. I had no problem doing the research and posting on the blog. But going out and doing a service learning project was hard for me. I worried about the people on the extreme opposite side and how they would attack me, either verbally or physically. After hearing from the girls in my group who actually got yelled at by people outside Planned Parenthood, I grew even more uncomfortable. I agreed with the fight but could not join it on the front lines. Then the rest of my group decided on spreading the word at a fundraiser for the SSU LAX team. I was still uncomfortable with the whole passing out condoms and pamphlets thing. Fortunately,  life intervened and I ended up not being able to make the fundraiser. I felt bad about missing it because I knew I'd miss out on an important part of the assignment, but I was relieved.

It then made me think. What if I had a student who was uncomfortable with a service learning project? Would I force them to just "get over it and out there" if it just did not sit right with them? Would that be fair, even if they did all the rest of the work with the group, to give them a lower grade? I don't think it would be. I would find an alternative for them if necessary. As long as they did the assignments and research, I would allow it and grade based on what they had done. What about if the project did not sit right with the parents? There are a lot of what ifs in these projects. However, I do see the benefits of teaching them to stand up and fight for things they believe in.

Despite not being able to make the fundraiser, I feel as though I have been a member of this group.I did the work, learned a lot, and maybe over time will be able be more verbal and aggressive in fighting for women and Planned Parenthood.

No comments:

Post a Comment