Thursday, March 1, 2012

Crystal's Reflection

I was already a supporter of Planned Parenthood before doing this project and I will continue to do so.    I have learned a lot more about the subject then I realized.  There is so much controversy about Planned Parenthood because of the services it provides.  Most of these issues are politically or religiously based.  I absolutely believe that everybody has the right to their own beliefs but it's discouraging to see how forceful they can be when others do not agree with them.  I used to think that it's okay if they can at least tolerate those that take advantage of the health services and education that PPH has to offer.  Even that they can't do.  Look at Katie and Amanda's experience even going to the clinic for information.  My plan as of today is to raise awareness on EVERY service that PPH has to offer communities.

There are some topics that aren't age appropriate for elementary school students concerning PPH however there are still some topics that could be discussed for those who are in the fifth grade.

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/rochester-syracuse/pre-school-elementary-22720.htm?__utma=1.322220895.1330637150.1330637150.1330637150.1&__utmb=1.6.10.1330637150&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1330637150.1.1.utmcsr=google|utmccn=(organic)|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=(not%20provided)&__utmv=-&__utmk=160313661

This link above helps parents with ideas on how to talk about sex and puberty as well as retreats they could go on to learn how to communicate more effectively.  There is a "Not Now" program offered to 5th and 6th graders where it advocates for abstinance.  I could see myself as a teacher using PPH to promote healthy living through eating properly, exercising and socialization.  One of my main focuses would be their well-being and what they could do to maintain it.

No comments:

Post a Comment