Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Taking Action.. and Thought on Teaching Social Justice

To do my part and "take action" towards supporting Planned Parenthood and what they do I signed an "I stand with Planned Parenthood" support card. Doing this made me feel like I was helping because when we received the support cards from Planned Parenthood they were really excited to give them to us and eager to get them back to see the demographics of who stands with and supports what they do. Seeing their excitement with our help and support has made me very excite to be supporting and raising awareness for such a great organization.

In regards to teaching social justice I think this is something that should be incorporated into classrooms even at an elementary level. I do believe education can be used as an instrument for the public good. I think both the students and community can learn and benefit from being taught social justice and participating in service learning projects. On our specific topic of Planned Parenthood, the awareness and the funding, I know that abstinence is suppose to be taught in school but I think information on Planned Parenthood and safe sex should also be giving and available to students in need.

-Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment