Thursday, February 16, 2012

Taking Action, Teaching Social Justice

     To take action against the injustices against women's health and Planned Parenthood, I will sign the card that the other members of my group discussed to show that I stand for Planned Parenthood. It is a small thing, but it can help the organization. They can send me more information on how I can help and who I can contact in the government to show my support and fight for Planned Parenthood. I'm glad to know that even the small things I do can support them and spread the word so that other may support them. I've learned a lot during this project and will continue to do more research on ways to prevent further injustices against women's health.


     I believe that social justice is an important, but risky topic to teach elementary school students. Some topics need to be handled with care based on the opinions of the community. Teachers need to give their students the facts of the topic and leave biases at the door, so that students may form their own informed decisions. Teachers also need to be sure to allow students to disagree in a safe environment where they will not feel attacked or cornered. However, in the right hands the topic of social justice can be an interactive and educational experience. Students can learn how to write letters to government officials and to spread the word of a particular case of interest. They will feel ownership of the project and assignments if they feel like they are making a difference.


     “Struggle for social justice is central to our nation’s history…“Concerns about the common good and the rights of the individual, no matter how humble in social standing, transcends politics and holds a definitive place in the realms of morality, ethics and federal law, and therefore in the world of teaching social studies”

     I feel as though this quote sums up exactly how I feel about social justice.


-Brooke

No comments:

Post a Comment